SYMPTOMS AND SIGNS: Symptoms show at 45 to 50 for women at menopausal period of time, such as irregular menstrual cycle period, or amount of bleeding; dizziness, tinnitus, palpitation, insomnia; various psychological symptoms, such as melancholy without any assignable reason, paranoia, suspiciousness, paraphobia, depression, or other unstable and uncontrollable emotions, nervousness, irritability, somnolence; or restIessness, hot sensation of general body or palms, or edema, loose stool, or sore and weak sensation at lumbar region, fatigue. Normal or red tongue, wiry or weak pulse.
ETIOLOGY AND PATHOLOGY: Menopausal disorders are mainly due to the insufficiency or exhaustion of blood and essence caused by the deficiency of liver and kidney. Liver Qi stagnation is also another major reason for the causative factor for menopausal disorders.
1. Liver Stagnation and Spleen Deficiency Type:
Indications: Irregular menstruation and bleeding, various emotional symptoms, such as depression, crying, melancholy, vertigo, or headache, paraphronia, suspiciousness, paraphobia, irritability. Digestive symptoms, such as poor appetite, loose stool, fullness or suffocating at chest or gastric region. Red or normal tongue, thin coating, wiry or thready and wiry pulse.
Treatment & Formulas: Harmonize liver and tonify spleen, regulate the Chong and Ren channels.
- Jia Wei Xiao Yao San (Bupleurum and Paeonia Formula, Item No. 2068): This is a first choice of formulas for menopausal disorders due to the disharmony of liver and spleen.
- Chai Hu Jia Long Gu Mu Li Tang (Bupleurum and Dragon Bone Combination, Item No. 2154 ): This is good for nervousness, insomnia, and palpitation during menopausal period.
- Si Wu Tang (Tang - kuei Four Combination, Item No. 2060): This is a blood tonic that harmonizes the liver Qi due to blood deficiency.
- Dang Gui Liu Huang Tang (Tang - kuei and Six Yellow Combination, Item No. 2231): This treats menopausal disorder due to liver blood deficiency plus the interior fire.
- Gui Zhi Fu Ling Wan (Cinnamon and Hoelen Formula, Item No. 2157): This treats menopausal disorders by improving the blood circulation and dispersing stagnant blood.
- Dang Gui Shao Yao San (Tang - kuei and Paeonia Formula, Item No. 2233): It tonifies spleen and harmonizes liver.
2. Kidney Yin deficiency Type:
Indications: Irregular menstruation, dizziness, blurry vision, insomnia, dream sleep, hot flush sensation of general body or palms and souls, night sweating, sore and weak sensation of lumbar region and knees, or numbness and tingling of skin, thirsty, constipation, scanty yellowish urine, red tongue, thin coating, thready and rapid pulse.
Treatment & Formulas: Tonifies the kidney Yin and harmonizes the liver.
- Liu Wei Di Huang Wan (Rehmannia Six Formula, Item No. 2051 ): This is a kidney Yin tonic.
- Ji Ju Di Huang Wan (Lycium, Chrysanthemum and Rehmannia Six Formula, Item No. 2290): It tonifies the kidney Yin and harmonizes the liver.
- Zhi Po Ba Wei Wan (Anemarrhena, Phellodendron, and Rehmannia Formula, Item No. 2123): It tonifies the kidney Yin and clears the deficient interior fire.
3. Kidney Yang Deficiency Type:
Indications: Fatigue, lassitude, cold body and limbs, urinary frequency and incontinence, loose stool, poor appetite, abdominal fullness, or edema on face or lower part of body or limbs, poor memory, sore and weak sensation of lumbar region and knees, pale tongue, thin coating, thready and deep pulse.
Treatment & Formulas: Tonify the kidney Yang.
- Ba Wei Di Huang Wan (Rehmannia Eight Formula, Item No. 2011): It is a tonic for both kidney Yin and Yang.
- Huan Sao Dan (Lycium Formula, Item No. 2264): This is a very good kidney tonic formula, has the function of rejuvenation.
- Jia Wei Chang Chun (Youth Tea, Ginseng & Codonopsis Combination, Item No. D3041, S3101):This is tonic formula for kidney.