WESTERN MEDICINE: Leukorrhea is a non-bloody vaginal discharge which may occur at any age and affects most women at some time. Toe secretions may come from the vulva, vagina, cervix, or fundus, and may be normal or may represent minimal pathologic changes from bacterial infection, cervical erosion, malignancy, internal pelvic infections, foreign bodies, or constitutional diseases.
The most common causes of cervical leukorrhea are chronic cervicitis, aversion, or erosion. These lead to a mucopurulent discharge with a mixed bacterial flora. Vaginal leukorrhea may be due to infection during childhood or after menopause, when the vaginal mucosa is thin and lacks normal resistance. In the adult, vaginal leukorrhea is usually secondary to infection of the lower reproductive tract.
SYMPTOMS AND SIGNS: Leukorrhea during mature periods, or before and after menstruation, or during pregnancy without any other symptoms and odor is normal vaginal discharge. Once it becomes a persistent annoying discharge, accompanied with other symptoms, then it belongs to a pathologic reaction. The discharge may be profuse, or scanty, its quality may be vary from clear to bloody, and from mucoid to purulent with or without odor; or an intensely itching feeling may be present.
ETIOLOGY AND PATHOLOGY: The causative factors are dysfunction of the Chong and Ren channels and weakness of the Qi of the Dai channel due to the spleen deficiency with liver stagnation, downward infusion of damp-heat, or kidney Qi deficiency.
1. Leukorrhea due to Spleen Deficiency and Liver Stagnation:
Indications: White or light yellowish profuse vaginal discharge, sticky in quality, no odor, pale or dull complexion, cold limbs, fatigue, poor appetite, loose stool, or edema of both feet, depression, or fullness and pressure at lower abdominal area. Pale tongue, white and greasy coating, weak and slow pulse.
Treatment & Formulas: Tonify the spleen and harmonize liver, ascend clear Yang and eliminate the interior damp factor.
- Shen Ling Bai Zhu San (Ginseng and Atractylodes Formula, Item No. 2173): It tonifies spleen and eliminates the interior damp factor.
- Lian Zhi Qing Xin Yin (Lotus Seed Combination, Item
No. 2254): It tonifies spleen and clears the interior damp-heat.
- Liu Jun Zi Tang (Major Six Herb Combination, Item No. 2050): or Xiang Sha Liu Jun Zi Tang (Saussurea Cardamon Combination, Item No. 2125)
- Wu Ling San (Hoelen Five Herb Formula, Item No. 2043): It tonifies spleen and also has a diuretic function.
2. Leukorrhea due to Kidney Deficiency:
Indications: Profuse white vaginal discharge, watery or loose tn quality, and in continual manner, sore and weak sensation at lumbar region, cold feeling at lower abdominal area, frequent clear urination, especially at night, loose stool, pale tongue, white and thin coating, deep and slow pulse.
Treatment & Formulas: Warm and tonify the kidney so as to stop the leukorrhea.
3. Leukorrhea due to Damp-heat:
Indications: Profuse yellowish vaginal discharge, sticky, purulent or bloody, or turbid in quality, strong annoying odor, or itching, or lower abdominal pain, scanty and reddish urination, thirsty, bitter taste in mouth, dry throat, red tongue, yellow coating, rapid or slippery and rapid pulse.
Treatment & Formulas: Clear the heat and eliminate the damp factor.
- Ba Wei Dai Xia Fang (Tang -kuei and Eight Herb Formula, Item No. 2282): This is a very effective formula for leukorrhea due to the damp-heat.
- Yin Chen Wu Lin San (Capillaris and Hoelen Five Formula, Item No. 2143)
- Huang Lian Jie Du Tang (Coptis and Scute Formula, Item No. 2212)
- Long Dan Xie Gan Tang (Gentian Combination, Item No. 2267)